Friday, March 7, 2008

Homeschool Rights at Risk

Today I was going to add more to my series about Teaching Styles. Notice that "was" has some attention drawn to it. That is because I'm not going to.

I thought that it would be more appropriate to bring to attention the California State Homeschool Shocker. If you haven't heard about it just yet, check out this link at NBCSandiego.com.

It basically states that if you do not have a teaching certificate you are unable to homeschool your child in the state of California.

I'm not quite a genius when it comes to law, I was public schooled (that was a bad stab by the way), but I have some fears as a parent that is considering homeschooling. This not only puts the homeschooling parents in California at risk of criminal complaint, but all homeschooling parents as well. If a court of law can uphold that parents do not have a constitutional right to homeschool their children in one state, what is to stop it from spreading like a disease to other states.

The HSLDA has a Petition to Request Depublishing of California Court Case. You do not have to be a homeschooler in order to sign, just someone that believes that a parent should have the right to decide what's best for their children's education.